6 May 2015

Sunny Leone: I have faced discrimination in Bollywood



Bollywood stars without any filmi background or a godfather often find it difficult to make a place for themselves in the film industry. From stepping into smaller roles to doing an item song to working in small budget films, these actors try everything to get their talent recognised. Getting a second chance in Bollywood is a Herculean task. But if you are Sunny Leone, the discrimination goes a notch higher.
The former adult film star, who made her debut in Bollywood with Jism 2, believes that discrimination persists in Bollywood since she herself has been a victim of it.
"There is discrimination in Bollywood in terms of the roles that I am offered, and also in relation to my past. I am not here to follow my past, but to carve my future in Bollywood. However, there are a lot of people in Bollywood who discriminate against me. I don't want to do something that is illegal in this country. I want a chance, and I hope that there is some sense of acceptance," says Leone.

Four films old in Bollywood, Sunny has mostly worked with small stars and new names than established B-Town actors. But the actress doesn't mind not being cast opposite big stars. In fact, she is happy that some people in Bollywood show support and trust in her.

The Ragini MMS actress says, "Most of the people don't cast me, thinking that she is good for only one thing. But there are a few others in the industry, who show support. They give me a chance. They think I can add value to their film."

Like any other Bollywood diva, Sunny also wants to work with the Khans, but currently she is happy to work with people who want to give her a chance. "I want to work with someone who wants to work with me," says the actress unhesitatingly. 

Known for her bold image on screen, the actress has been typecast in Bollywood, but she says that she will be seen in varied roles in the future. "I don't know about breaking or recreating any image. My fans have been watching my films for years now. In Bollywood, I have played varied characters, and this year, you are going to see me in very different films," stated the 33-year-old.

The actress, who will be seen next in a comedy caper Kuch Kuch Locha Hai, says that this genre comes naturally to her. "I am very comfortable doing comedy films. Back in the US, I was part of a comedy group. I did comedy skits. So, I have a little bit of training and have a good sense of humour," she says.

In this film, Sunny shares screen space with Ram Kapoor for the very first time. The actress says that she had a great time working with him. "We had so much of fun shooting for the film, and we have become friends for life," adds Leone.

Sunny will play a Bollywood diva in the Devang Dholakia directorial, Kuch Kuch Locha Hai. The film is slated to release on May 8.
Source - india today

Followers